Tuesday 27 February 2007

To be or to ..... BE


I don't know why I always write about the annoying things, I'd like to write something to cheer up, but, Oh God, it is out of my hands for the moment.
Any way, I mentioned before that I'm Syrian and I'm proud for being Syrian, and since I left Syria, I faced a repeated situation which always makes me lose my temper.

First scene:

I'm at work, a client entered the office, he was Lebanese, asking for some details, the dialogue was in English , I sat with him, with a respect smile on my face, providing him with each and every detail he needs, then after finishing, he asked me: are you Lebanese ?, the smile disappeared from my face, and said: NO, I'm Syrian, he was surprised – I don’t know why- and said: really, you must be Lebanses, I said: yes, do you have anything against me ? He confused and apologized in low voice.

Second scene:

I was talking to hotel manager, she was a pro-Lebanses lady -she was Italian lady got married to a Lebanese man- any way, I arranged what I need, then at the end of the call, I told her: happy saint RITTA anniversary (it was 22nd of May 2006, and I know that Christians celebrate this occasion) … then she was shocked, she told me: how do you know about this Italian saint?, I told her I just know, then she asked: you must be Lebanese … I said NO I'm NOT, I'm Syrian, but why you asked such a weird question? She also confused then she said: this is not a familiar occasion. Then I said: so what? That means Lebanese must know these information and Syrian NOT??
Then she tried to fix up the situation, so she said: you must be Christian; again: wrong choice, NO I AM NOT, then she was speechless for a while, then she told me, any way Ziad, regarding your request, it is really hard, but, consider it done … I said: come on, are you telling me that because of this coincidence that I know this occasion you will help me in this ?, then she said: no, but I liked your way of talking, then after a while, I got a call from her office, and everything was done.

I also have many situations like these 2, but I will write only these, I just wanted to say:
Why we – as SYRIANS- must be treated like this?? How come if any body of us acts like a gentle woman/man will accuse to pretend as a Lebanese? I'm not Lebanese and I will never pretend to be a Lebanese, I'm Syrian, and proud for being the guy who I am.
So my friends, can you ask yourselves this question? Why we are treated like this when we are abroad?

5 comments:

GraY FoX said...

hahhaha
one of the stereotypes around this region that ppl care for where you come from , or what cult you follow instead of caring to know who you really are,
it's not your dilemma only , it's the dilemma of lebanese ppl too sometimes :P

Mais said...

LOL..calm down Ziad, this is a common situation and just today i faced a similar one :)
i went for a manicure and the girl who was doing my nails asked me: are you lebanese ma'am?
i said no i'm syrian, why?
she said because you look classy and stylish, so i thought you are lebanese!
i took it lightly, just laughed a said well, syrian can look the same as well :)

ziad said...

Hey .. thanks for the comments ...
Gray Fox:
I don't know if you have faced such a situation, believe me, it is really bad feeling, and yes, it is a problem for SOME Lebanese.

Mais:
Tell me how to calm down?, i can't accept to be judged like this, and all the ppl. must know that we are classy and stylish, and the most important thing, we are ourselves and not pretending to be like anybody else (hope that you got my point).

Mais said...

Ziad,

ma howeh we have to calm down w 2ela we'll end up 3am ne7re2 damna 3a kel shee bihal denyeh..and you know sa7etna ma ba2a testa7mel :D

i know it's annoying, i know it bugs and bothers you to the max..but i'm trying to be positive and to act on it to change ppl's attitude and judgement towards "us" gradually..

it used to get on my nerves when anyone comments on my good english, saying: how come u have a good command in english and you're syrian?! their english is not good!
oh well, this is just a small example of such silly comments and previous assumptions and judgments some ppl label u with...

anyhow, seriously speaking those ppl don't deserve much attention, cuz they're simply ignorant..
and yes, we are ourselves and not anything wannabes ;)

ziad said...

oh Mais, you defeated me .. i will try to calm down as much as i can ...
and be sure that i'm giving the best image about Syrian ppl.
cus i know who I am ...
yalla salam